I’ve been meaning to post about the boys’ treehouse ever since we got started near the beginning of the summer. After much talking about it, we finally identified the perfect spot, nestled between two poplar trees by the creek and our berry shack. We needed a third post for the treefort design that we had in mind, and my husband – ever thrifty and on top of things – said “there is a dead tree on the ground by the pond that should do just fine”.
He was right; the fallen tree trunk was sound and just needed its bark scraping off before we could cut a clean nine-foot length from it. No pictures from that day, but it was a four-person effort and everyone in the family got their turn at one end of the crosscut saw. That saw itself is a great bit of recycling; we purchased the old saw at a local antiques barn for a song and it works a treat. Two-person sawing is one of my favourite newest discoveries. So, third tree trunk: check.
Then we had to figure out how to get the sucker about 250 metres from our pond to the treefort site. It took a bit of wrangling, but we got it tied up and balanced off the back of the little trailer that our ride-on mower pulls and off my husband went, sl-ow-ly. The back of the trailer was completely bent out of shape by the time he arrived, but it was a successful mission and he cheerfully banged the frame of the trailer back into shape.
Next up: hole digging.
Since these photos were taken we have:
– installed all three supporting beams on the base triangular structure
– built and installed a (square) platform, including a small “porch” footprint or entry area
– framed the structure of the tree-house, including a dormer window on the southern side, a regular window on the western side, and two horizontally placed french doors (southern and northern sides) for lots of light
– nailed hardboard over the rough platform floor
– installed screens in several windows
Still to do:
– install the roof
– install walls
– “skin” the treehouse walls in scrap metal (the boys are thrilled that the finished treefort will look more like a bunker and it will mean that we don’t have to stain or paint the walls)
– finish installing mesh screen on several window openings
– build and install a door
– find and install a slide on the “exit” side of the entrance porch
– build and install rope-handled stairs on the “entrance” side of the entrance porch
What I really like about this project is how much recycled and repurposed material we’ve been able to use, including:
– dead tree trunk for the third post
– scrap lumber left over from our own house construction plus some donated by our builder from his own supplies
– scrap nails, screws and hardware from our house construction
– two old, peeling french doors (given to us years ago by a neighbour in the building trades – thanks again Phred!)
– two second-hand windows found for $15 a piece at a local antiques shop
– scrap metal of various types sourced from one of the junk heaps on our land (ie inherited junk)
Part 2 coming soon.